Santa Claus is a minute long film from 1898 showing Santa Claus himself clambering down a chimney and delivering presents to a couple of very excited children.
I like how sweet and strangely magical this is.
Merry Christmas, etc!
1. I watched this on youtube originally, but the version on the BFI website looks nicer.
2. According to lots of places, this is the oldest Christmas film in existence.
3. And according to the BFI page about it, this is also the earlier film that shows two things happening in different places at the same time.
4. I have no idea if either of those facts are true.
5. This film is 121 years old!
6. And now I can’t tell if that’s actually a fake snow effect they’re using, or if it’s all just the result of 121 years of dirt and degradation on the celluloid itself.
Title: Santa Claus
Director: GA Smith
Duration: 1 minute