Views Of Tokyo (1913-1915) is two minutes of footage from 1910s Tokyo, as the name suggests, with lots of lovely shots of people being intensely interested in the camera, as they walk past, or more often just stop and stand there and stare and stare.
Although my favourite part isn’t the people but the wonderful automata about 40 seconds in, which we see for a few seconds, but which I wish I could watch for hours (or a few minutes, at least), just disappear into it for a while and think of nothing else but it’s movements.
1. I watched this on youtube
2. But with the sound off, so I didn’t listen to the added sounds.
3. I also found a colourised, upscaled version, which is here if you’re interested.
4. And which is twice as long.
5. It’s just a shame colourisation is so distracting.